Decided to spend a little time cleaning up the side mirror shape. Looking to achieve a classic shape that will be easy to manufacture. Took some inspiration from the Pagani Huayra as well as the La Ferrari and 599XX cars. I love the extension that brings the mirror into a useful space.
The base plates and the mirror itself will be fairly easy to make a mold of, but the stanchions will be tougher to do. I could do it with a carbon fiber sock and a CNC foam insert of some sort.
Either that, or an inflatable inner bladder, and a 2 piece mold for the outside of the shape.
I also spent a bunch of time trying to get the carbon fiber shader to work in my rendering package. It was tough to achieve the 2 layered look with the base carbon fiber anisotropic shader, with the top clear coat over it. I did manage to figure out how to achieve a pretty decent result, though I think it will be even harder to get the matte clear coat to work properly, or a dry carbon look.